Non-EU foreigners need a visa to enter Germany. The type of visa depends on the duration of the planned stay. If you want to travel to Germany for a short time only (less than 90 days), e.g. for a family visit or a business trip, you need a Schengen visa. If you are planning a longer stay (more than 90 days), e.g. for study purposes, you will need a long-term visa (national visa).
National Visa / Long Term Visa
If you are planning to stay in Germany for more than 90 days, for example, to take up studies, for family reunion or for employment, you must apply for a national visa.
You can find information on visas for the various purposes on the following pages:
- Student visa
- Visa for family reunion
- Visa for other purposes (professional training, employment, voluntary service, AuPair, etc.)
- You can register for an appointment here.
If you are planning a stay of up to 90 days within 180 days, you must apply for a Schengen visa.
In Gabon, Germany has no foreign representation and is represented in certain cases by the French Embassy.
To apply for a Schengen visa, please contact the French Embassy in Libreville directly if you meet all the following requirements:
- Your main destination Germany
- You have residency in Gabon
- You have Gabonese nationality
If you are resident in Gabon but do not have Gabonese citizenship, please contact the German Embassy in Yaounde in order to apply for a visa.
- Information on how to apply for a Schengen visa can be found here
- For appointment registration please click here